Behavioral health billing and revenue cycle management are complex because the client care process is markedly different from a medical provider. This results in behavioral health agencies trying to find a balance between adequate client treatment plans and a billing plan that’s in line with insurance companies’ policies and procedures.
The following best practices can help you streamline your billing process and optimize your revenue cycle, resulting in significantly improved billing metrics.
- Start the billing process at intake by capturing every client’s insurance information before their appointment. Make sure you know the insurance carrier’s policies and procedures for submitting claims and getting paid.
- Have timelines in place to streamline the billing process. For example, designate when staff should write client care notes, when to check for appropriate signatures, and when to perform the claims review process.
- Prevent and manage your claim denials. Check daily for errors in claims before they’re submitted and fix and resubmit denied claims immediately. An EHR platform with a revenue cycle management solution can help automate this process for you.
- Make sure everyone knows their role in the billing process. Scheduling staff need to confirm insurance eligibility and collect co-payments, clinicians need to document accurately so the system can pull the right code, and management needs to track key performance indictors to ensure your agency is on track.
- Track and measure everything. Focus on days in receivables, percentage of receivables over 120 days, and managing spikes in cash flow. A fully automated EHR system offers all of these key metric reports and more.
Implementing these EHR billing and revenue management best practices helps you not only scrutinize your entire billing process and improve it, but also leads to a more consistent cash flow and increased revenue. Finally, a fully integrated behavioral health EHR platform incorporates these best practices and helps you automate your workflows for improved operations and efficiencies.
When you optimize every part of your billing and revenue management processes, your agency will become more profitable.
The Remarkable Health difference
Remarkable Health’s CT|One is a fully integrated behavioral health EHR system designed to create efficiencies and improve workflows that result in increased cashflow and improved revenue cycle management. CT|One automates functions so your clinicians spend more time on client care and less time on the computer.
Request a demo today to discover the power of an EHR solution designed specifically for behavioral health providers.